Other Life is a newsletter, podcast, and Youtube channel by social scientist Justin Murphy.
My worldview can be described as Internet Vitalism. Here are some of my beliefs.
- Technology is the supreme danger and—as Heidegger says, quoting Hölderlin— "the saving power also."
- America is the best country and we should keep it that way.
- The internet is America and America is the internet.
- Increasing human life is always good.
- Joy—as Spinoza taught—is "that passion by which the mind passes to a greater perfection." And sadness is "that passion by which it passes to a lesser perfection."
- Resentment is the most common failure mode in modernity.
- Crypto is good, will not be stopped, and will change everything.
- The Institutions are collapsing and that’s a good thing.
- "Life eternal is the supreme good, death eternal the supreme evil, and that to obtain the one and escape the other we must live rightly." —St. Augustine
- The truth will set you free.
"The third important way of being militant is militancy as bearing witness by one’s life in the form of a style of existence... Ensuring that one’s life bears witness, breaks, and has to break with the conventions, habits, and values of society. And it must manifest directly, by its visible form, its constant practice, and its immediate existence, the concrete possibility and the evident value of an other life, which is the true life."
—Michel Foucault, The Courage of Truth